Friday, August 8, 2008

2008: The Year of "Real" Endurance

This year has been the year of 26.2's and perhaps the most all-encompassing endurance race of them all: having a child!

I have often thought someone could have written me a book that tells me minute by minute what it would be like to have a child...and the book would not have conveyed 5% of what it is really like to have a child. This year's quest has revealed to me new responsibilities (3:00 am feedings, diaper genie knots), new possibilities ("can I really push the stroller up this hill?", a few hours of sleep can be enough?), new strengths("I can do this parent-thing"), new vuneralbilities (times of a whole new dimension of helplessness) and a new gusto...for the journey!

Next goal: Mission Sub-4:00 OBX (aka Outerbanks Marathon, Nov. 9th).

My goal is to run the marathon in less than 4 hours. I think I can get 3:45 ...

I did 7 miles at apprx. a 9:05 pace w/ a 2 minute walking/goo break today.

Avg. heart rate was 155. I felt good and could have pushed it harder. My legs are coming off of an epic 30 mile "attack ride" yesterday in which Stiney-Hiney wished he had more impulse control!

Overall and possibly most difficult goal of quest: Balance.
The art of priority management. How to keep family, marriage, fatherhood, athletics, mental health, occupation, spiritual and environmental duties dovetailed with Ironman aspirations?
I am open to sugestions.

I am hopeful that I can achieve this elusive goal.

I will find a way...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude, you should really get that knot on your knee checked out.

Happy training to you, my friend. 26.2 x2 is more than I can comprehend right now - keep up the good work.